Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Agency and Batavia

"Second day morning 7th [October 7, 1867] Got 4 miles past Ottumwa & camped in a nicer place than we had night before last & got an earlier start than we did yesterday morning. Came through Agency City & Batavia. Now 3 miles of Fairfield & boiling meat and turnips for dinner. Think we will have a feast. A little cloudy & windy this morning, clear now & the wind pretty brisk from S. East."


My cousins and I spent the night in
Ottumwa. We had Mexican food which sounds much better than boiled meat and turnips. (I haven't eaten a turnip since I left for college!) Agency City is now just called Agency. Most of the streets were paved. A few miles down the road we pulled into Batavia. These small towns all seem to have the same four things: a water tower with the town's name, a United Methodist Church, a Masonic or IOOF (Oddfellows) Lodge, and a cemetery.

I have not seen one Starbucks in all of Iowa! Of course, we are sort of... um... off the beaten path!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. OMG, you really ate turnips. Now that's one vegi that my Mom did NOT make me eat. And...I think Aunt Ruth tried but I was not going for it.
    Now Mexican food...that's real food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun time retracing the steps.

    ReplyDelete