Saturday, July 3, 2010

A surprising discovery in Saint Paul, Iowa

"Fourth morning 16th [Wednesday, October 16, 1867] Started from Curtis' about 10 o'clock & are feeding in a lane on the north side of a locust grove half a mile west of Saint Paul which is sitting majestically on a hill just in front of me as I sit writing. Me thinks its tall steeple has a smathering of Roman Catholicism about it. Something whispers me that there is where I have heard of a Nunnery. Should like to be admitted within its walls out of curiosity. I reckon they would not keep me. Pilot Grove is in sight S.W. of us."

As we drove along a country road looking for St. Paul, suddenly we saw it... the steeple Grandmother Ann mentioned! We were in about the same location as when she wrote her diary entry. The church is a newer building than Ann saw, so the steeple is probably not the same one. But still, St. James Parish (established 1838), is an impressive sight from a half mile west. Grandmother Ann didn't peek inside, but I did!

Pilot Grove is small but has a post office and an old train
depot. On to Fort Madison where we cross the river!

No comments:

Post a Comment